10 Tips to Save on Winter Heating Costs
Despite the Farmer’s Almanac, winters are unpredictable these days – warmer, colder, you just never know. But when those colder winds are blowing around the house, Van Natta Mechanical has some tips to keep heating costs down, even while keeping your family toasty.
- Insulated Curtains: North or west-facing windows are a gateway to frosty temperatures. Thermal curtains insulate against errant winds and temperature drops, and reduce heat loss.
- Use the Sun: South-facing windows bring in the sun. Utilize Mother Nature’s heat source; open curtains and allow those rays into your home whenever you can.
- Flannel Sheets: These will keep you cozy at night, allowing you to turn the thermostat down a few (money-saving) degrees.
- Programmable Thermostats: At night, or when you’re not home, you may not need your home to be as warm. A programmable thermostat gives you control over your home’s temperature.
- Fireplace Smarts: A toasty fire seems nice on a cold day - until all that heat goes up the flue once the fire dies down. Better to keep the chimney closed to avoid important heat loss. Maybe just light some nice candles if you want to stay cozy.
- Insulate, Insulate, Insulate: Poor insulation is one of the primary causes of heat escaping from the home in the winter. The Department of Energy has a handy insulation tool that gives you an idea of how much your home needs, based on your zip code.
- Give Vents Some Space: Keep heating vents clear by moving any furniture or anything else blocking them.
- Reverse Ceiling Fans: We all learned in school that heat rises; reverse your ceiling fans to push that heated air down to your level.
- Clean Filters: Dirty or clogged filters make your heating system work much harder - and in turn, cost you money. Buy in bulk and replace filters once a month.
- Get Your System Serviced: Lots of little things impact the efficiency of your heating/cooling system. Regular checkups are one of the most important things you can do to ensure things are running at peak efficiency – and saving you money!
Many of these winterizing steps can be taken quickly and easily on your own like regulating your fireplace use and clearing space in front of heating vents. However, the more complicated steps like installing insulation or getting your system serviced will require the work of a heating specialist. Give us a call and let the heating experts at Van Natta take a look at your system. We can fix some of the more complicated issues that may be the cause of your home running less efficiently like installing a programmable thermostat, installing insulation, or servicing your heating system. We offer heating maintenance, repair, and replacements, and fresh installations. We currently have a furnace installation special for New Jersey and New York homeowners. If you'd like the heating experts at Van Natta to perform a heating inspection and assessment of your home, contact Van Natta or give us a call today at 201-391-3700.